“Look! It’s The Cat in the Hat!” Declan yelled as we passed by the books at the grocery store.
Sure enough, there he was. The infamous sketchy drawn cat in his great big red and white striped hat, which has become a symbol of the beloved books author, Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel) .
Declan loves Dr. Seuss stories, as I and all my children have. Dr. Seuss stories are great to teach kids how to read. Books like One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish appeal to Declan. The words flow in pleasing way and are easily repeated. Declan is not able to read words, but enjoys the flow of the words being read to him and enjoys looking at the pictures.
As each reading level develops, a new story is available. Dr. Seuss develops characters to discuss important social and environmental messages in stories like, The Lorax and my personal favorite The Sneetches.
As an adult, I still love Dr. Seuss stories and the inspirational quotes that lie in the books. I find their message important, inspiring and can really make you smile. Messages that I enjoy hearing for myself and for all my kids.
Here is a list of my top 10 Dr. Seuss quotes:
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…”
- “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
- “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
- “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
- “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
- “You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.”
- “To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”
- “The people that mind don’t matter, and the people that matter don’t mind.”
Dr. Seuss is great to teach young readers how to read. As the reader develops, so do Dr. Seuss stories. Inside the stories, there are a lot of great inspirational quotes for everyone.
Do you have a favorite story or quote? Let me know!